Child Support 101

In our society, every parent has an obligation to provide and care for his or her children in a way befitting their socio-economic station. Unfortunately, non-custodial parents do not always provide their children with the necessary financial and medical support. When such an obligation is ignored, society intercedes through the use of the Child Support Enforcement Program, and orders the offending parent to pay what is known as "child support."

The Child Support Enforcement Program is authorized and defined by statute Title IV�D of the Social Security Act. The purpose of the Program is to assure assistance in obtaining both financial and medical support either through the location of the parents, the establishment of paternity and support obligations, and the enforcement of these obligations.

All states run a child support enforcement program, usually through the human services department, department of revenue, or the State Attorney General�s office. Prosecuting attorneys, district attorneys, law enforcement agencies, and officials of family or domestic relations courts may also provide assistance. Native American tribes may also operate culturally appropriate programs with federal funding. Families seeking child support services must apply directly through their state/local agency or through the tribe running the program. Services become available to the parent in custody of a child (the "custodial parent") and are available automatically for families receiving assistance under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program.

In sum, services include:

  • Locating non�custodial parents
  • Establishing paternity
  • Establishing financial and medical support orders
  • Collecting support payments
  • Enforcing child support orders
  • Services for non�custodial parent

For more information, contact El Paso County Child Support Services at:

El Paso County Child Support Services
Citizens Service Center
1675 Garden of the Gods Road, Suite 1107
Colorado Springs, CO 80907

Phone: (719) 457.6331
Fax: (719) 457.6340